Quilts 2011

05 December 2011

T-shirt Quilt

I have successfully finished my first t-shirt quilt! Well, almost done. Just the binding that's left, but I was too excited/exhausted to quite finish it tonight.

Not only is this my first t-shirt quilt, it's also the first time I've been commissioned to make a quilt. A friend wanted to put her husband's shirts into a quilt and give it to him for Christmas. He officiates at bike races and this is an assortment of shirts from the races.

I wasn't too sure about the Michael Miller Citron Gray Bicycles. The color is, um, interesting. It's kind of bright in a dull way. Does that make any sense?! When she gave me the shirts I immediately thought of this fabric, but in a different color way. However my LQS was out of the other color and this is what they had left. So I bought it. And then let the whole project sit for a L-O-N-G time because I was so unsure of the fabric, but wasn't sure what else to use.

But with Christmas right around the corner and a ton of my own projects to do, I had to dive in today and get the thing done so I wouldn't have it hanging over my head any more!

Those citron bikes grew on me. I think it works with the t-shirts. And it was my husband's idea to put the outside grey border on the whole thing. Great idea, honey! Ties it all together (and I had the perfect amount left of that fabric to do the border... I found the piece and it was like it was meant to be. There's only a tiny little piece left!)

Now to do the binding in the morning so I can get it to my friend. Then time to move on to The List. The List being all the Christmas projects to get done.

The List at this point includes:
Something for our son (things he needs are a case for his Bible and a case for his iTouch. I've also got a hunk of Green Packer fleece for a blanket. I thought it would be the backing for a t-shirt quilt, but I don't know if there's time to make another quilt. )

A gift for my mom - she mentioned tonight she'd like a cover for her new toaster oven. Sounds like something I should make!

A couple of zippered pouches for family and friends

That's what I can think of now. There's probably more but I may freak out if I list it all out!

Oh, and there's that whole housework/laundry/day-to-day life stuff that I'm so behind on.

And decorate the house for Christmas.

Oh, goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment